Sunday, December 16, 2012

Light a Light

At the darkest time of the year, many celebrate light. 

Some of these celebrations are in preparation for its coming, some in remembrance of its past, others in lifting it up - recognizing it as an important part of their lives and embracing it as the darkness turns over to light (soon) and the days gain in length until the light becomes longer than the dark and the cycle begins again.

Light a light, so we no longer exist in darkness, though darkness need not be feared.
Light a light of comfort, keep us safe and warm, let us swell with thanks that our needs are met this moment, abundantly.
Light a light as a beacon to show the way; if you are lost, I am looking for you.  If I am lost; I hope...that there is someone out there who is looking for me.
Light a light to let me know that I am welcome, leave the light on a little longer.
Light a light of appreciation and ovation, one more time, again.
Light a light to .....

Some of my favorite lights are the

Janis Ian song:



The poem:  (especially the last two lines)                               



The Old Astronomer to His Pupil
Sarah Williams
"...
Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. "


A memory:
Once, on an extended stay, in Scotland, I had gone to St. Andrews and needed to catch the bus back to Buckhaven. It had gotten dark fast and the rain that had held off for the afternoon finally started softly , steadily and very cold.  The first bus would not be an express, but would get me out of the cold and rainy darkness.

It was not a long wait for the bus, and as I rode through all the small villages, there were some cottages, Inns, pubs and streets where the lamps were lit (within and without).

The rain was coming down harder, but those lights, even from far away in a moving bus, warmed me inside and made me smile; it still does.

Inside those homes, Inns, pubs, and on those streets, were lives that I may never know, but to whom I will be forever connected, as long as the memory remains.

Most of the ride was on the long, narrow A92 flanked by fields and darkness, and while (as I said), it was not an express bus which I might have usually preferred so that I could get home faster. At that time, that night, I was where I was meant to be.  I treasured each and every moment when the driver would turn off the main and wind down a few small braes in the tiny fishing villages; to find the lights and those who they served to warm, welcome, protect, and ...well...just light up a room on a cold, dark, rainy night.


Traditions (not definitions , but things that are continued, remembered, shared, or tried):

Yuletide; decorating and hiding a Yule log then preparing clues and having a hunt to find the log.  The log can then be burned with wishes, written on paper and thrown into the fire.

 (Before Picture; After is coming soon)


Winter solstice; The wheel turns to 1° of Capricorn; towards light on the shortest day (longest night) of the year.  Celebrating light in the darkness, as most winter holidays do, Winter Solstice is a time of looking forward to better times, but most importantly enjoying the moment.  Decorating an outdoor tree with lights and celestial symbols as well as treats for outdoor friends; apple slices with peanut butter and sprinkled with seeds.  Decorations also reflect the golden color of light, white innocence of youthful purity, red the color of life, blood, motherhood, and black, the color of night, the fullness of time, all that is dormant, the parents whose children have grown.


 
 




Advent; Four Sundays prior to Christmas that are marked with a wreath with four candles.  Each candle has a significance and purpose in the preparation of the coming week, culminating in a twelve day period of Christmas celebration, light in the midst of darkness.


Chanukah: a holiday that celebrates a tale of the miracle of light while it advertises and validates faith, by lighting one candle a night for eight nights until 9 candles shine bright (the ninth is the guardian with which the others are lit).  One of the cool traditions about this tradition is the way the candles are put in the Chanukia (candelabra), one per night, and the newest night’s candle is lit first, so each night, and each candle is special.  Spinning the dreidel to gamble for the “pot” is also fun.





This week I'll be thinking, even as I blow out my birthday candle, to let the lights shine on, and on!

BB,
~LM '





No comments:

Post a Comment